Avenue St. Andrew’s

Brief History

Avenue St Andrew’s URC was formed on 28 September 1986 by the uniting of Avenue and St Andrew’s United Reformed Churches to become one congregation in the Avenue building.  


However, its history goes back to the first Congregational church in Southampton, Above Bar, which was founded in 1662 in the city centre and was the home church of Isaac Watts the hymn writer.  Over the years Above Bar had a proud history of social involvement, in issues from slavery to local poverty. On the night of 30 November 1940 Above Bar was destroyed by German incendiary bombs.  Avenue Church was planted by Above Bar on 7 December 1898 to serve the increasing population of northern Southampton, and quickly became a strong and vibrant congregation.  During both world wars the church offered daily support to members of the forces camped on the Common as they waited to be shipped to France.  St Andrew’s Church was founded by the expatriate Scottish community in 1853 when Southampton was expanding as a port, although its roots can be traced back almost 100 years earlier.  When Above Bar was destroyed in 1940 most of the congregation moved to St Andrew's and the minister of Above Bar was recognized by the Presbytery as the minister of St Andrew’s.  The two churches officially united on 1 January 1948 to become the United Church – the first united Presbyterian and Congregational church in the country.  After the formation of the URC the United Church reverted back to the name St Andrew’s Church.  After initial growth by the 1960s and early 70s much of the surrounding housing was demolished and the congregation decreased.  However, the church valiantly served the local community as long as it could.  In the early 1980s a survey of St Andrew's buildings showed that £150,000 was needed to keep them safe.  St Andrew's and Avenue agreed to amalgamate in the Avenue building.  Subsequently, the St Andrew's buildings were sold and demolished.  Avenue St Andrew’s URC became part of the South West Hants Group of Churches in May 2006.


Directions

Avenue St. Andrew’s URC Southampton can be found on The Avenue (A33) leading into Southampton City Centre from Junction 14 of the M3 Motorway – following signs for Southampton A33.

We are located at the bottom of the Southampton Common at the junction of The Avenue and Alma Road.  There is a pedestrian crossing immediately outside our building.


Church Services

These are at 11.00 am every Sunday morning and you would be most welcome to join us.


Ministers

Revd. Tim Searle  )Tim – suspect you have this information already

Revd. Dr. Sarah Hall )



Contact

Church Office:-  Telephone No. 023 80 678787

(messages can be left on the answer phone)


Office Hours  Mon – Fri 10.00am – 2.00 pm


Church Address

Avenue St. Andrew’s URC, The Avenue, SOUTHAMPTON SO17 1XQ


For more information please view our website  http://www.asaurc.org.uk

they waited to be shipped to France.  St Andrew’s Church was founded by the expatriate Scottish community in 1853 when Southampton was expanding as a port, although its roots can be traced back almost 100 years earlier.  When Above Bar was destroyed in 1940 most of the congregation moved to St Andrew's and the minister of Above Bar was recognized by the Presbytery as the minister of St Andrew’s.  The two churches officially united on 1 January 1948 to become the United Church – the first united Presbyterian and Congregational church in the country.  After the formation of the URC the United Church reverted back to the name St Andrew’s Church.  After initial growth by the 1960s and early 70s much of the surrounding housing was demolished and the congregation decreased.  However, the church valiantly served the local community as long as it could.  In the early 1980s a survey of St Andrew's buildings showed that £150,000 was needed to keep them safe.  St Andrew's and Avenue agreed to amalgamate in the Avenue building.  Subsequently, the St Andrew's buildings were sold and demolished.  Avenue St Andrew’s URC became part of the South West Hants Group of Churches in May 2006.


Directions

Avenue St. Andrew’s URC Southampton can be found on The Avenue (A33) leading into Southampton City Centre from Junction 14 of the M3 Motorway – following signs for Southampton A33.

We are located at the bottom of the Southampton Common at the junction of The Avenue and Alma Road.  There is a pedestrian crossing immediately outside our building.


Church Services

These are at 11.00 am every Sunday morning and you would be most welcome to join us.


Ministers

Revd. Tim Searle  )        tim.searl@swhg.org.uk

Revd. Dr. Sarah Hall )        sarah.hall@swhg.org.uk



Contact

Church Office:-  Telephone No. 023 80 678787

(messages can be left on the answer phone)


Office Hours  Mon – Fri 10.00am – 2.00 pm


Church Address

Avenue St. Andrew’s URC, The Avenue, SOUTHAMPTON SO17 1XQ


For more information please view our website  http://www.asaurc.org.uk